The M-2 protocol (vincristine, cyclophosphamide, BCNU, melphalan, and prednisone) was administered monthly to 63 evaluable patients with advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Complete remission (absence of all clinical and bone marrow evidence of leukemia) and partial response (greater than 50% decrease in organ enlargement and reduction of WBC count to below 15,000 x 10(6)/liter) were achieved in 17% and 44%, respectively, for a total response rate of 61%. The median survivals from therapy of patients achieving a CR, RR, or no response were 73+, 40, and 14 mo respectively. The median survival time from onset of treatment for stages II, III, and IV disease were 47, 20 and 19 mo, respectively, which was not statistically different from historical controls. However, when untreated patients are compared to this latter group, a significant survival advantage from diagnosis was found (p = 0.01), stressing the importance of prior therapy as the only unfavorable prognostic factor. Although complete remissions in CLL, as reflected in apparently normal bone marrow B-lymphocyte markers, can be induced wih acceptable morbidity, the majority of patients relapse after cessation of therapy. An alternative approach to the M-2 protocol will be needed to eradicate the disease.
Combination chemotherapy of advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia: the M-2 protocol (vincristine, BCNU, cyclophosphamide, melphalan, and prednisone)
- Share Icon Share
- Tools Icon Tools
- Search Site
- PDF LinkPDF
S Kempin, BJ 3d Lee, HT Thaler, B Koziner, S Hecht, T Gee, Z Arlin, C Little, D Straus, L Reich, E Phillips, H Al-Mondhiry, M Dowling, K Mayer, B Clarkson; Combination chemotherapy of advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia: the M-2 protocol (vincristine, BCNU, cyclophosphamide, melphalan, and prednisone). Blood 1982; 60 (5): 1110–1121. doi: https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.V60.5.1110.bloodjournal6051110
Download citation file: