1. Erythropoiesis was studied in seven patients with refractory anemia.
2. In all seven patients the total red cell volume was low and the plasma volume elevated.
3. The serum iron was elevated and iron binding protein saturated in six of seven patients.
4. The T½ for clearance plasma Fe59 was decreased in one, normal in two, and increased in four patients.
5. The red cell iron turnover was decreased in six of seven patients.
6. Radioiron accumulated in liver and spleen.
7. Red cell life span was difficult to measure but probably shortened.
8. Androgen therapy in two cases was ineffective, and was associated with a slight effect in one patient.