Abstract

Abstract 4893

Background:

The follicular lymphoma (FL) it is a subset of non-Hodgkin lymphomas, accounting for between 15% and 30% of new diagnoses of lymphoma. It has raised many combinations of treatments, but the long-term results remain unchanged. At present there is no consensus on the first line therapy for the management of follicular lymphoma. Since the advent of rituximab use, this change, achieving better response rates and survival, the paradigm is the use of R-CHEMO, but there are many active combinations, including the use CVP, CHOP, FCM, and others, which have shown benefit, but with consequences given for severe toxicity, and treatment-related deaths. In Colombia, the situation it is not different, the use of chemotherapy is left for consideration by the treating physician. This study aimed to assess treatment preferences for patients with new diagnosis of follicular lymphoma in Colombia, evaluate the responses of the combination R-CHEMOTHERAPY in our population, considering the specific ethnic characteristics and limitations of a developing country.

Patients and Methods:

The study included patients diagnosed with follicular lymphoma confirmed by hematopathologist with experience by performing at least 10 immunohistochemical tumor markers. This study is a descriptive study. During the study took into account the principles of autonomy, beneficence and justice written in the Belmont report. Informed consent was obtained from patients for participation in this study. It also welcomes the resolution expressed law Colombian Ministry of Health No. 008 430 1993 (4 October 1993) Article 11 investigation classified as safe. We analyzed cases diagnosed from January 2007 to July 2011 in two private institutions in the city of Bogotá, Colombia, we obtained 20 cases meeting the inclusion criteria. All the patients were scheduled to undergo primary therapy with 6 cycles of full-dose R-CVP or R-CHOP.

Results:

in this group, there were 5 men and 15 women (75% of all patients), and the median age at diagnosis was 56 years, the initial stage was 10% for stage II, 40% for stage III and the remaining 50% for stage IV, the bone marrow compromise reached by 45% (9 cases). The initial functional status classified by the ECOG scale was 0: 45%, 1: 50% and 3: 5%. the B symptoms were present in 95% of the patients analyzed. In accordance with the International Prognostic Index (FLIPI), we find the following: low risk: 25% (5 cases), intermediate risk: 35% (7 cases) and high risk: 40% (8 patients). the pathological grading was grade 1: 55% (11 patients), grade 2 for 35% (4 patients) and 3 for 10% (2 patients). When we reviewed found that the preferred treatment, for 80% of the population uses the R-CVP and the remaining 20% use of R-CHOP scheme, one patient in the R-CHOP group was complicated with high-risk febrile neutropenia requiring hospitalization. There were no treatment-related deaths. We found that 80% of patients achieved a complete hematologic remission and 20% partial response for an overall response of 100%. If we analyze separately patients treated with R-CVP scheme was 75% complete response and 25% partial response, with an overall response of 100%.

Conclusion:

This study shows the preference of treatment in 2 institutions in Bogotá, Colombia, which are in accordance with international guidelines, the results show a population with similar general characteristics with the others studies, in which a 100% overall hematologic response was achieved, 75% complete response for the R-CVP and 100% for the R-CHOP, however the latter with 25% of severe infectious complications. We consider a good treatment strategy for the implementation in our population is the R-CVP scheme, which is well tolerated, showing benefit in our patients and remission rates even higher than the studies previously published.

Disclosures:

No relevant conflicts of interest to declare.

Author notes

*

Asterisk with author names denotes non-ASH members.