Abstract

Abstract 1722

Introduction:

Clofarabine is a nucleoside analogue that has shown activity in pts with myeloid disorders. The outcome of pts with MDS and CMML post clofarabine is unknown.

Aims:

To evaluate the outcome of pts with MDS or CMML treated and failed clofarabine based chemotherapy as a first line or salvage regimen.

Methods:

We reviewed data of 89 pts with MDS and 21 patients with CMML treated with a clofarabine based chemotherapy at MDACC between 6/2001 and 5/2012. Thirty-nine pts (36%) received clofarabine as first line therapy and 71 pts (64%) received clofarabine as salvage therapy. Ninety-six pts (87%) received single agent clofarabine and 14 pts (13%) received a clofarabine containing combination. Response assessment followed standard criteria. Overall survival (OS) was measured from the time of therapy till the time of death or last follow-up.

Results:

One hundred and ten pts with a median age of 68 years (range, 42–88) were assessed. Sixty-five percent of the pts were older than 65 years. At the time of MDS diagnosis, 68 (61%) had a high or intermediate-2 risk International Prognostic System Score (IPSS). Thirty-one pts (27%) had complex cytogenetics. Sixty-one pts (55%) had failed therapy with a hypomethylating agent (HMA) before initiation of a clofarabine containing salvage therapy. Of the pts who received frontline clofarabine treatment, 15 (23%) achieved complete remission (CR) and 2 (3%) CR with incomplete platelet recovery (CRp), for an overall response rate (ORR) of 26%. Of the pts who received salvage clofarabine treatment, 4 (9%) achieved CR and 5 (11%) CRp, for an ORR of 20%. The median duration of response to clofarabine was 6 months. ORR was 14% among the 61 patients who had received a prior HMA. At time of clofarabine failure, 20 (18%) had progressed to acute myelogenous leukemia (AML). Fifty-eight patients received salvage therapy after clofarabine failure. Among these, 13 patients received allogeneic stem cell transplant, 17 patients received a high dose Ara-C containing regimen and 25 patients received only investigational treatments. Only 8 (14%) responded (median duration of response not reached) (range, 0–40 months). Within a median follow-up of 3 months from clofarabine failure, 13 pts (14%) remained alive. The median OS post clofarabine failure was 5.1 months and the 1-year survival rate of 25% (figure 1).

Conclusion:

Outcome of patients with MDS post clofarabine failure is poor, with a median survival of 5.1 months. These patients should be offered investigational strategies.

Figure 1:

Kaplan Meier curve for patients with MDS after failure of clofarabine therapy.

Figure 1:

Kaplan Meier curve for patients with MDS after failure of clofarabine therapy.

Disclosures:

Off Label Use: Use of clofarabine is investigational in MDS.

Author notes

*

Asterisk with author names denotes non-ASH members.