Abstract

Abstract 1227

Poster Board I-249

Background

In comparison with single autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (auto HCT), tandem autologous HCT has resulted in longer event-free and overall survival in randomized trials for patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma (MM). Most myeloma patients, however, only receive a single auto HCT. Many of these patients are eligible for a second auto HCT as salvage at the time of relapse. We evaluated the outcome of salvage auto HCT for MM patients treated at our institution.

Methods

We performed a retrospective chart review and identified 62 MM patients (38 males, 24 females) who received a second auto HCT as salvage between 1/3/1992 and 11/4/2008.. Preparative regimen was high-dose melphalan alone or in combination with other chemotherapy agents, including busulfan, topotecan and bortezomib. Three patients received a combination of thiotepa, busulfan and cyclophosphamide.

Results

Median interval between the first and salvage auto HCT was 21 months (range 2-81). Median age at salvage HCT was 55 years (37-73) and median prior treatment regimens were 4 (range 2-16). Twelve patients had chromosomal abnormalities on conventional cytogenetic studies. Patients received a median CD34 cell dose of 4 ×106 / kg (range 2.3-11.2). Fourteen patients (22%) experienced grade 3 or higher toxicity after the salvage auto HCT. Two patients died within 100 days with a TRM of 3%. Median time to neutrophil engraftment was 10 days (8-38). Responses after salvage auto HCT were as follows: CR+ near CR 15%, PR 48%, with an overall response rate of 63%. Twenty-seven (44%) patients received post auto HCT maintenance therapy. Median follow-up from salvage HCT was 25 months. Kaplan-Meier estimates of median progression-free survival and overall survival (OS) were 15.5 and 43.3 months, respectively. Median time to progression after the first and salvage auto HCT was 20 and 12 months, respectively, with total remission duration of 32 months from two HCTs. Median OS from the time of diagnosis was 72 months, comparable to reported results with tandem auto HCT. At last follow up, 20 patients were alive and in remission.

Conclusions

In selected MM patients a second auto HCT for salvage therapy is well tolerated with acceptable toxicity. The combined remission duration and overall survival are comparable to outcomes with tandem autotransplants.

Disclosures

Qazilbash:Cephalon: Speakers Bureau.

Author notes

*

Asterisk with author names denotes non-ASH members.