Thrombocyte production from megakaryocytes of healthy humans, dogs, guinea pigs and mice was observed continuously for one to six days in tissue culture.

Approximately 70 per cent of the explanted megakaryocytes broke down to give rise to numerous platelets, while the remaining 30 per cent of the cells remained unchanged.

The newly formed thrombocytes were separated from the rest of the bone marrow tissue, counted and their serotonin absorbing capacity determined.

There was invariably a gradual increase in both the number of thrombocytes and in their serotonin absorbing capacity during the one to six days of observation.

The results obtained were similar in human megakaryocytes and in those of experimental animals.

This content is only available as a PDF.

Sign in via your Institution